The holiday season is a busy and exciting time of year. Unfortunately, thieves enjoy the holidays too. Here are some helpful hints to consider during the holidays from Rochester Regional Health’s Security Department.
While in the Office:
• Your office door should be closed and locked when you are away from the office.
• Secure personal valuables, gifts, money, wallets, or purses in a desk or file cabinet.
• All portable equipment, tools, and computers should be secured or locked away when not in use.
• Report any suspicious activity or person immediately to the Security Department.
• Stay alert to your surroundings and the people around you.
• Shop with a friend; there is safety in numbers.
• Avoid carrying large amounts of cash; pay for purchases w/ a check, credit or debit card.
• If possible, carry only your driver’s license, personal checks, or necessary credit cards.
• If you must carry a purse, do not wrap the straps around your arms or shoulders. Carry a clutch purse tightly under your arm or wear a fanny pack.
• Watch purchases while eating in mall food courts; bags can easily be switched or taken.
• If you do return to your car to unload purchases, place them in the trunk of the vehicle.
While in Parking Lots:
• Park in a high visibility area and check for lighting in case you leave when dark.
• Prior to arriving at the shopping center, lock all your valuables in the trunk of your car.
• Have your car keys ready in hand before walking to your car.
• Leave the store with others, not alone.
• Ask security to escort you to your vehicle if you feel uncomfortable.
• Walk briskly, confidently, and directly through the parking lot. Be cautious of people handing out fliers or asking questions in the parking area.
• Watch for people who may be following you. This can occur inside as well as outside. If you suspect someone following you, return to the building and report it to security immediately.