Rochester General Hospital Edition
Disaster Preparedness in Health Systems
September is National Preparedness Month, which takes on new significance following multiple natural disasters in late summer. As the climate changes and the number of serious weather events increases, healthcare systems must adapt their existing protocols to provide continuous high-quality care before, during and after a disaster.
- A prescription for the 21st century: improving resilience to high-impact weather for healthcare facilities and services. (2014). American Meteorological Society.
- Building health care sector resilience: U.S. climate resilience toolkit. (2016). National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
- Checklist: essential pediatric domains and considerations for every hospital’s disaster preparedness policies. Children’s National Health System.
- Hospital emergency response checklist: an all-hazards tool for hospital administrators and emergency managers. (2011). WHO Europe.
- Lessons learned from Hurricane Sandy and recommendations for improved healthcare and public health response and recovery for future catastrophic events. (2015). American College of Emergency Physicians.
- Planning for power outages: a guide for hospitals and healthcare facilities. (2013). U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
Bibliography by Rachel Becker, MLIS
Click here to print a copy of the September newsletter.
Werner Medical Library
1425 Portland Ave
Rochester NY 14621
Consumer Health Information
Fall library hours resume this week!
Monday – Friday: 8 AM to 9 PM
Saturday: 9 AM to 5 PM
Sunday: Closed (RGH ID badge swipe access for clinical staff)